Pages

Search This Blog

Sunday, July 18, 2010

The weekend

I haven't posted a lot lately, but I have been cooking. Let me tell you about the meals from the last few days...

There were the onion cheeseburgers.... Wow! These were so good! You'll notice in the recipe that I use a very lean beef. I rarely buy anything more fat than this. I like the taste better and I have more meat left after cooking. It's also a little bit healthier than the commonly used 80/20.

The recipe:
2 lbs 93/7 ground beef
one medium yellow onion (Vidalia onion if you can get it) chopped fine
salt and pepper to taste

Heat a large skillet on medium high heat. Mix ground beef and onions. Season with salt and pepper. Make thin hamburger patties (about 9). You want these to be thin so they cook through quickly.

Place the hamburgers patties in the hot skillet (no oil) and leave them. When patties are brown, turn and let the other side brown. When patties are almost done (and it doesn't take long) place a slice of cheese on top to melt. I used American cheese, but you can use any melty cheese that you like. Remove patties from skillet and place on a plate to rest. Continue until all patties are cooked.

In a separate skillet, brown hamburger buns. (I used my tortilla pan) Melt butter in the skillet/pan, butter the buns and place on the skillet. Remove when buns are toasted and lightly brown.

Slice tomatoes and tear some leaf lettuce for toppings.

Last step: Build your burger. Use whatever condiments you like and enjoy!

Another night I cooked smoked sausage with peppers and onions over rice. If you follow me on Facebook, you know that my Saturday meal was a Southern classic: Fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, collard greens, rolls, sweet iced tea AND peach cobbler for dessert.

I remove all of the skin and as much fat as I can before I fry the chicken. I wouldn't call it healthy frying, but I figure I'll remove as much of it as I can before I fry it. (It sounds healthy, right? lol)

I didn't take pics, but you get the picture.

Live well, eat well, enjoy... Cyn aka Fine Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment