Pages

Search This Blog

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Pork Fajitas



The question of the day: What to cook for dinner? I'd been rolling an idea around in my head for a couple of days and decided I'd try it today. My idea? Pork fajitas. Sounds simple and it was! My first challenge was what spices to use. Most of the recipes I read called for a marinade. Marinades are great for adding flavor, but in my opinion makes prep time much longer. So, I opted for a rub of spices. The question was still, which spices?

Here's what I came up with:

Cain's BBQ Spice
Chili powder
Onion powder
Oregano
salt
pepper

Now I can't tell you how much of each of these. I didn't measure. But it was roughly 2 parts BBQ spice to 1 part of the other spices with salt and pepper to taste.

I rubbed this spice mixture on boneless pork chops and grilled them on my stove top grill. I set them aside and let them cool a bit. (You don't have to cook them all the way through because they are going back in the grill pan in a bit.) When the pork chops have cooled enough to touch, slice them diagonally for the chop to make strips that look like fajitas.

Next I sliced long-wise a red, yellow and green bell pepper and one medium to large size yellow onion. I grilled these in the same grill pan I used for the pork and used the seasoning mixture on them.

When the onions had softened and browned I added the sliced pork to the grill pan and let it all cook together for about five minutes.

I used my tortilla pan and browned flour tortillas, made guacamole, added sour cream and salsa and dinner was ready.

Oh, and for a nice touch of flavor, I sprinkled fresh chopped cilantro over the top of the fajitas.

Live well, eat well, enjoy...

Cyn aka Fine Mama

1 comment: