Pages

Search This Blog

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Penne Pasta with Spinach and Bacon



The first time I made Penne Pasta with Spinach and Bacon I found it was tasty but not really flavorful. The pasta to sauce/ingredient ratio was lacking. That time I followed the recipe exactly. So as I was planning my menu for the next week. (A rarity for me.) I looked at this recipe and decided to try it again, with some Fine Mama's twists.

 I found this recipe on www.allrecipes.com. I absolutely love the site. Lots of great recipes and I encourage you to go out there and look for some too. To tweak this recipe, I went to the website and pulled up the recipe. Using the serving size adjustment tool, I doubled the recipe. I figured I like the flavors, but wanted more flavor. As I was cooking, I thought of the pasta to ingredient ratio and decided to only use one box of pasta. Doubling the recipe called for two. I then followed the directions and cooked the bacon until crisp and brown, but use the doubled amount. I used more garlic but didn't double it. Doubled the amount of diced tomatoes and the spinach. I did add one simple ingredient: fresh cracked black pepper:

 The result: 



Here's the link to the original recipe:

  Penne Pasta with Spinach and Bacon. 

Here's the way I tweaked it and gave it a Fine Mama's touch:

Ingredients:
1 (12 ounce) package of penne pasta
4 tbsp olive oil, divide in equal parts
12 slices of bacon, chopped
3 tbsp minced garlic
2 (14.5 ounce) cans of diced tomatoes (recommend using no salt added)
Fresh cracked pepper
2 bunches (or 1 large plastic container) fresh spinach, rinsed and torn into bite size pieces

Directions: Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the penne pasta, and cook until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. (Salting the water here is the main seasoning for your spinach later) Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Place the bacon in the skillet and cook until browned and crisp. (If you have excessive amounts of oil after this step, remove all but 2 - 3 tablespoons). Add garlic and cook for about 1 minute. Stir in the tomatoes, lightly season with pepper and cook until heated through. Place the spinach into a colander, and drain the hot pasta over it so it is wilted. Transfer to a large serving bowl and toss with the remaining olive oil. Toss with the bacon and tomato mixture. Serve and enjoy!


 Live well, eat well, enjoy!

 Cyn aka Fine Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment